UMI 2012 • Registration and Agenda
Marine Minerals: Finding the Right Balance of Sustainable Development and Environmental Protection
The 41st Conference of the Underwater Mining Institute
October 15–20, 2012 • Tongji University
New! Kingswell Hotel Tongji Shanghai (formerly Days Hotel) • Shanghai, China
Click here or on the Register Now button and you will be directed to the SME (Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration) Events Registration module. This service is part of the exciting merger of IMMS with SME. If you require assistance, please contact the UMI Conference Coordinator.
Download and complete the UMI 2012 Registration Form (PDF, updated 08-13-12), which has payment and submission details. Contact the conference coordinators if you have problems or questions with the form.
Key Deadline Dates
- Monday, October 15, 20:00–21:30: Welcoming Reception and Registration, Kingswell Hotel Tongji Shanghai (50 Zhangwu Road, Yangpu District, Shanghai, Phone +86-21-33626888, Fax +86-21-33616777) for UMI participants and their guests.
- Tuesday, October 16, 08:30–17:30: Technical Session I, Tongji University, Yifu Building, 1239 Siping Road, Shanghai (10-minute walk from Kingswell Hotel: see this map PDF)
- (Breakfast is included in the Kingswell Hotel reservation and Lunch will be served at the Shangdao Restaurant, next to Kingswell Hotel)
- Optional Dinner at Kingswell Hotel, 7:00 PM (open to UMI participants and their guests for an additional fee). Includes Jinyin (wonderful music) Tongji student flute presentation.
- Wednesday, October 17, 08:30–17:30: Technical Session II, Tongji University, Yifu Building, 1239 Siping Road, Shanghai (10-minute walk from Kingswell Hotel)
- (Breakfast is included in the Kingswell Hotel reservation and lunch will be served at the Shangdao Restaurant, next to Kingswell Hotel)
- 08:30–09:00: International Marine Minerals Society Division of SME General Membership Meeting
- 09:00–15:00: Shopping in Shanghai Trip (optional for spouses and guests only, additional fee, includes lunch) concurrent with the Technical Session. Travel by taxi to famous Nanjing Road Pedestrian Street.
- 18:00–21:00: UMI Banquet on The Bund.
Meet in the lobby at 18:00 (6:00 PM) of Kingswell Hotel for bus transportation to Huangpo River area restaurant. Banquet hosted by COMRA. Banquet Address by Mr. David Heydon, Executive Chair and Founder, DeepGreen Resources, Inc., Australia
- Thursday thru Saturday, October 18, 19, and 20: Geotechnical Field Tour (optional, additional fee, 3 days and some evenings that includes transportation, hotels for Oct 18 and 19 only, admission, and most meals. Guest scientist(s) and a technical field guide will provide geological and mineralogical perspectives of the landscape throughout the tour.
- Thursday, October 18 at 08:00: Depart Kingswell Hotel (meet in the lobby); Shanghai, Suzhou (gardens, silk factory, etc.), and Nanjing (overnight)
- Friday, October 19 at 09:00: Depart hotel for Nanjing destinations (Ming Xiaoling mausoleum, Confucius temple, etc.), and Tongling (overnight)
- Saturday, October 19 at 09:00: Depart hotel for Xinqiao Cu-S-Fe-Au Deposit (large-scale polymetallic deposit) in the Tongling Mineral District, Anhui Province, China
- Return to Kingswell Hotel Tongji Shanghai (5-hour trip will include dinner; estimated time of arrival 21:00 or 9:00 PM). To check in for the evening of Oct 20, you must make a separate hotel reservation (see UMI Geotechnical Field Tour Hotel Reservation Form PDF.)
[ Top of this page ]
Registration and Function Descriptions and Fees
Registration Fees (deadline August 31, 2012)
The UMI fee schedule below provides for Regular and Late registration options, as well as a discount for members of the International Marine Minerals Society of SME.
Regular Fee: Member USD 425, Non Member USD 475. The regular fee covers the welcoming reception, technical sessions and materials, lunches, UMI banquet, and 2013 membership to IMMS of SME.
Senior Fee: Member USD 400, Non Member USD 450. This fee is for retired professionals not supported by an institution or company. These participants are entitled to the welcoming reception, technical sessions and materials, lunches, UMI banquet, and 2013 membership to IMMS of SME.
Single-Day Fee: Member USD 350, Non Member USD 400. This fee entitles the participant to one technical session on October 16th or 17th along with lunch, conference materials, and 2013 membership to IMMS of SME.
Student Fee: USD 375. The student fee includes the welcoming reception, technical sessions and materials, lunches, UMI banquet, and 2013 student membership to IMMS through 2013. Students must provide verification of student status and be willing to assist during the conference.
Late Fee: A late fee of USD 50 is assessed for those registering on or after September 1, 2012.
[ Top of this page ]
Optional UMI Dinner at Kingswell Hotel (Tuesday, October 16, 19:00–21:00 PM: USD 40, includes buffet dinner and Tongji Student Jinyin Flute Association). Open to UMI participants and their guests).
Shopping in Shanghai Trip (Wednesday, October 17, 10:00–14:00: USD 35. This is open to spouses and guests only (not participants) and includes transport by taxi to Nanjing Road Pedestrian Street--one of the busiest shopping streets in the world and a center of commerce for over 100 years.
Banquet Fee for Single-Day Registrants, Spouses, and Guests (Wednesday, October 17, 18:00–21:00): USD 75. The UMI Banquet is open to single-day registrants, spouses, and guests at additional cost (includes transportation and banquet). (
Note: If you are a UMI regular, senior, or student participant, the banquet is already included in your registration fee.)
Geotechnical Field Tour Fee (October 18, 19 and 20): USD 300 per person for a Double Room (shared) or USD 400 per person for a Single Room. This is a 3-day tour from Shanghai to Suzhou to Nanjing and to Tongling. Of greatest technical interest is the Xinqiao Cu-S-Fe-Au Deposit (large-scale polymetallic deposit) in the Tongling Mineral District, Anhui Province. The cost includes surface transportation, hotels (two nights, one each in Nanjing and Tongling), most meals, admission fees, guest scientist(s) and technical field guide. Return to Shanghai will be around 21:00 or 9:00 PM to Kingswell Hotel Tongji Shanghai. To check in for the evening of Oct 20, you must make a separate hotel reservation (see UMI Geotechnical Field Tour Hotel Reservation Form.)
Deadline to register (PDF) for the Geotechnical Field Tour is August 31, 2012.
The deadline for UMI Conference Registration is August 31, 2012, and registrations after this date will incur a late fee of USD 50.
Refunds (less a USD 50 processing fee) will be allowed for written cancellations (email or fax) received by September 30, 2012.
[ Top of this page ]
Meeting and Hotel Venues
The technical sessions for UMI 2012 will be held in the Tongji University’s Yifu Building (at right), 1239 Siping Road, Shanghai 200092. Yifu contains administrative offices and on the north end of the building are lecture halls (theatre-style). It is an easy 10-minute stroll from the Kingswell Hotel Tongji Shanghai to the Yifu Building.
Kingswell Hotel Tongji Shanghai
- 50 Zhangwu Road, Shanghai 200092
- Phone: +86 21 33626888
- Fax: +86 21 33626777
- UMI Reservations Contact: Mr. Andy Qian
- Email: email@example.com
Special UMI 2012 Room Rates are as follows:
- Deluxe Double Room (deluxe king): RMB 660 per night, includes 1 or 2 breakfast buffets
- Superior Deluxe Double Room (business king): RMB 550 per night, includes 1 or 2 breakfast buffets
Complete the Kingswell Hotel Reservation Form (PDF) and email or fax it (+86-21-33626688) directly to Andy Qian, Kingswell Hotel Tongji Shanghai.
If you are joining the UMI Field Tour, please note that the Tour includes hotel rooms for Oct. 18 and 19 only and ends at 21:00 (9:00 PM) on Oct. 20 at Kingswell Hotel Shanghai. If you need to stay at the Kingswell Hotel that evening or longer, please complete the Kingswell Hotel (UMI Field Tour) Reservations Form (PDF) and submit it to Andy Qian above.
Hotel reserves the right to charge a one-night room rate if the guest does not arrive on the date reserved.
This rate is extended for pre and post conference stays.
Hotel Check In: 14:00 (2:00 PM) and Check Out: 12:00 Noon
Hotel Reservations Deadline: August 31, 2012
[ Top of this page ]
Travel to Shanghai
In order to secure your visa to China, you will need two letters of invitation—one from the conference organizers and one from Tongji University. Please provide the following immediately to the conference coordinator Karynne Morgan:
- Name (as it appears on your passport; please capitalize your Family Name):
- Job Title and Company Name:
- Email Address:
- Mailing Address (where original Letter of Invitation will be mailed to):
- Place of Visa Issuance, including City, State, Country (Chinese consulate or embassy where you are sending your visa application):
- Gender (male or female):
- Date of Birth:
- Passport Number:
- Date of First Entry (arrival date to Shanghai/China):
- Purpose of Visit: To attend or be associated with the Underwater Mining Institute 2012 conference (may include Field Tour); hosted by Tongji University in Shanghai from October 15-20, 2012.
- Length of Stay (number of days and departure date from Shanghai/China):
- Number of Entries (one entry in three months or multiple entries in twelve months):
- Who is responsible for the related travel expenses: Please indicate “self” or “traveler” and if not, then please provide name, title, company name, and contact information.
Ground Transportation from Airports
There are two international airports in Shanghai, the Pudong International Airport (airport code PVG) and the Hongqiao International Airport (airport code SHA). You can reach the Kingswell Hotel Tongji Shanghai from either airport by taxi, metro (subway), airport bus or any combination of the three as follows:
From the Pudong International Airport:
- Taxi: Take a taxi at the airport directly to the hotel. It takes about one hour and costs about 180 Yuan (RMB)
- Maglev + Taxi: Take the Maglev at the Pudong Airport, get off the Maglev at the Longyang Station (terminal of Maglev). Then, take a taxi to the hotel. Ticket of Maglev: 50 Yuan each, or 40 Yuan each by showing your flight ticket. Taxi costs about 60 Yuan.
- Maglev + Metros: This is a cheaper, but more complicated choice. Take Maglev at the Pudong Airport, transit to Metro Line 2 at the Longyang Station (terminal of Maglev), then change to Metro Line 10 at the “East Nanjing Road” Station, and get off at the “Tongji University” Station. The hotel is about 100 meters away to the east of this station.
- Metros only: Take Metro Line 2 at the Pudong Airport, transit to Metro Line 10 at the “East Nanjing Road” Station, and get off at the “Tongji University” Station. The hotel is about 100 meters away to the east of this station. It costs only ~10 Yuan for this option but you need ~1.5 hr to get to the hotel.
- Airport bus + Taxi: Take Airport Bus Line 4 at the Pudong Airport (20 Yuan), get off the bus at Wujiaochang Station, and then take a taxi to the hotel for about 11 Yuan.
From the Hongqiao International Airport:
- Taxi: It will take about 50 minutes and cost ~90 Yuan. There are also Airport buses, but none of those comes close to Tongji.
- Metros (Option 1, recommended): Take Metro Line 10 at the Hongqiao Airport, and get off at the “Tongji University” Station. The hotel is about 100 meters away to the east of this station. It costs ~6 Yuan and takes ~1.0 hour to get to the hotel.
- Metros (Option 2): Take Metro Line 2 at the Hongqiao Airport, transit to Metro Line 10 at the “East Nanjing Road” Station, and get off at the “Tongji University” Station. The hotel is about 100 meters away to the east of this station. It costs ~10 Yuan and takes ~1.0 hr to get to the hotel.
- Important: If your flight arrives after 21:00 (9:00 PM), the best ground transportation is by taxi. Please show the taxi driver the following (download as a high resolution JPG or high resolution PDF to print):
- Limousine Service: In addition, limousine transportation can be booked in advance from either airport to the Kingswell Hotel starting at RMB 530 (USD 84). See attached Limousine Service Listing (PDF).
- Shanghai: Although often viewed as a modern metropolis, Shanghai still contains some picturesque rural suburban areas. Shanghai boasts several museums of regional and national importance. You can venture yourself around the city center near the Bund and the People’s Square, where shopping centers and restaurants are abundant. For more information please visit these sites or other similar sites:
- Weather: It is a comfortable season in October in Shanghai, with average temperatures ranging from ~18°C to ~25°C. It maybe a little cold in the morning and evening, therefore, a jacket is recommended. The weather forecast of Shanghai is available
- Subway: The subway system in Shanghai is convenient. The “Tongji University” station of Metro Line 10 is very close to the hotel, and the Metro line 10 is directly connected to many other lines throughout the city. A subway ticket costs mostly from 2 to 7 Yuan, depending on distance. For more information, visit
- Currency: Chinese currency is called Renminbi (RMB), which means “People’s Currency.” The units are 元 or 圆 yuán, 角 jiăo (0.1 yuan), and 分 fēn (0.01 Yuan). The paper currency includes 100, 50, 20, 10, 5 and rarely 1 Yuan, and coins include 1, 0.5, and 0.1 Yuan. Occasionally you may receive 0.05, 0.02, and 0.01 Yuan coin as change in supermarkets. See more details at www.chinatour.com/currency/currency.htm.
Money exchange is available in the Airport upon your arrival, and you will need Chinese money for transportation. There are also some banks, and some 24-hour open ATMs near the Kingswell Hotel.
[ Top of this page ]
For Speakers and Poster Presenters
Please prepare one file for each presentation in PPT format. This will be collected and downloaded by UMI staff during the Welcoming Reception on Monday, October 15 at the Days Inn Hotel Tongji Shanghai.
For poster presenters, there is an option for you to pay USD 40 and have your poster printed, mounted and ready for pick up and display at Tongji University. The cost includes the use of an easel. The poster needs to be designed for A0 sizing and the PDF emailed to the Conference Coordinator.
Complete the Poster Printing Order Form (PDF) and submit it and the Poster PDF by September 15, 2012.
Technical Program Chair:
Dr. Charles Morgan
Tel: +1 808 550-4539
Technical Program Co-Chair and Host:
Dr. Huaiyang ZHOU
School of Ocean and Earth Science, Tongji University, Shanghai
Karynne Chong Morgan
University of Hawai‘i, 1000 Pope Road, MSB 303, Honolulu HI 96822
Tel: +1 808.956.6036 • Fax: +1 808.956.9772
Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration
[ Top of this page ]