UMC 2015 • Agenda
Nearshore Underwater Mining:
Critical Commodities for the Future
44th Underwater Mining Conference*
November 1 through November 6, 2015
Hilton St. Petersburg Bayfront Hotel •
Tampa Bay, Florida • USA
*formerly the Underwater Mining Institute (UMI)
Provisional Agenda (updated 8/03/15)
- November 1 (Sunday), 09:00h to 16:00h: Seabed Mineral Resource Estimation and Sampling Course, Training Center
This complimentary six-hour Seabed Mineral Resource Estimation and Sampling Course (PDF) will provide insight into the process of mineral resource estimation, with a specific focus on code-compliant reporting of the results. Presenter is Rene Sterk, Managing Director, RSC Mining and Mineral Exploration (New Zealand), which offer global exploration and geological services to the mining industry.
- November 1 (Sunday), 19:00h: Welcome Reception and Registration, Poolside Terrace
Participants and their guests are welcome to join the reception.
- November 2 (Monday), 08:30h: Technical Session I, St. Petersburg I and II
This technical session will also feature exhibits and a poster session.
- November 2 (Monday), 18:00h: UMC Banquet at the Museum of Fine Arts
MFA is located at 265 Beach Drive, NE just a short stroll away from the Hilton St. Petersburg Bayfront. Participants will enjoy a catered banquet among the Museumís elegant setting and art collections. A special guest speaker will address the UMC.
- November 3, (Tuesday), 08:30h: Technical Session II, St. Petersburg I and II
Concurrent with this technical session is a Spouses/Guests only tour St. Petersburg Art Walk (PDF). The evening will be free for participants to explore the city and dine at their leisure.
- November 4 and 5 (Wednesday and Thursday), 07:45h: Geotechnical Field Tours
Participants may choose between one of three tours offered: Group 1 Phosphates (PDF) (Group 2 Coastal Sedimentology and Group 3 Springs and Karsts are no longer available).
- Phosphate Country: phosphate mining, beneficiation, processing and laboratory sites; Frank Lloyd Wright architecture tour; Florida spring site visit. Tampa-Manatee County-Lakeland-Zephyrhills-Tampa
- Coastal Sedimentology: guided sedimentology and historic tour of the entrance to Tampa Bay; Ringling Museum tour, Mote Marine Laboratory tour. Tampa-Egmont Key-Lido Key-Sarasota-Tampa
- Springs and Karsts: guided tour to springs, fossiling, and spelunking. Tampa-Homosassa-Gainesville-Tampa
- Each tour includes one hotel stay for Nov 4 and 2 full tour days (guides, coach transit, most meals, entry fees). There is a 25-person maximum for each tour. Tours depart at various times in the morning on Nov 4 from the Hilton St. Petersburg Bayfront and end at various evening times on Nov 5 at the Holiday Inn Westshore Hotel near the Tampa International Airport. Those departing Tampa late in the evening on Nov 5 may take a shuttle to the Tampa Airport. Those needing accommodations for Nov 5 or later may make a separate reservation (at additional cost) at the Holiday Inn Westshore (see Hotel and Shuttles).
- November 6 (Friday): Departure Day
Most participants on the field tours will depart from the Tampa International Airport. Shuttles from the Holiday Inn Westshore provide easy and short transit to the airport.
For details on each venue and function, please refer to the PDFs available on the UMC Home page under Important Updates and Forms.
[ Top of this page ]